It is Christmas time and the big guy with the beard (not me) is making his lists; who has been naughty & who has been nice.
Well, the powers that be who manage the billions of emails darting around the world and through the cloud keep lists as well. The lists are called whitelists and blacklists. I think it is pretty clear which is the list you want to be on and which you want to avoid.
So to help you out, here are a few things that will get you on the wrong side of the email police:
- Sending too many emails with the same content in a short space of time
- Including words like ‘free’, ‘win’, ‘prize’, ‘offer’ etc.
- Sending your email formatted as one big image - you should have more text that images
- Including too many attachments or very large attachments
Now, just so you take me seriously, here are a few reasons you do not want to end up on the blacklist:
- Permanent reputational damage
- Missing out on potential sales
- Messages which are delivered will be marked as spam and are usually deleted by users
So when sending emails it is important to keep them personal i.e. one to one and to include content relevant to them and not use too many images or attachments. Otherwise you may end up on the blacklist!